Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Love your family. Even if they are Madus.

I once told a few people that Madus are a spreading like a Virus on this planet. With their big wide hips, flashy green clothes, and loud whistle voices. We will have nowhere to go. We are doomed.
But not many believed me. However, it IS true. I live with them. I know the truth. They yell like their life depends on it. And they choose to do so – Bang in the middle of a Public Place, say a Restaurant. They order food for half the world’s appetite. And then they yell at the waiter for getting too much or crowding their table!
And they call me a Sore Thumb. Thank God for that!
Anyway, last week there was yet another wedding chat I had with my parents. They don’t know who I will get married to. I have an idea, yes. But still. My mother went ahead and bought some chunky crack jewellery from this family friend’s studio. For my wedding of course. It was HUGE. And it could light up a room. My brother and I dint know how to react on seeing it. I keep my brother as a Cushion, in all such discussions. I know he has no business looking at Chunky Madu Jewelley.
My parents’ way of mentioning any product purchased for my wedding is to say – ‘it is for later’. Which I don’t understand. Because this ‘later’ is actually very ‘Soon’. Anyway, so I mustered up the courage to tell my Mom that it’s not my style and I don’t like it. Obviously she got offended. She tripped on how ‘unaccommodating’ I am. How I don’t like anything that everyone likes, and the likes. So I made a few points here:
·         I don’t wear necklaces to begin with. Why don’t you just get me pretty earrings
·         If I HAVE to wear a necklace, let’s look at something that will fit my frame
·         I don’t like Chunky. Period.
·         You only want to show how much money you are spending on my marriage
I know the last point was uncalled for. But it’s the single most important truth that leads all their choices and arguments. Anyway, after a lot of back and forth, it was decided – considering I am the one getting married (whenever that is), I should be the one choosing what I wear. I can’t go ahead and do a Flower Arrangement in my neck because it makes 50 of them happy. I can’t consciously look like a Clown. So, the fact that I have a different Style sense does NOT make me unaccommodating.

Lot more such venting…will happen in time :)

P.S. - I love my parents. But they are not Fair. And I can only give-in to a certain extent, for the sake of emotions. 


6 comments:

  1. lol..... ITS all about loving ur parents :P :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always knew there was a lot of room for improvement for this clan !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuchilli, technically means nothing. However, it means to do naatak, crib, sulk, throw tantrums, chay chay pey pey. Get the drift ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..And you thought you were the only one. Well some parents are like that. A Bride be it their own daughter or someone else... She has to be LOADED. Have you noticed even when a family attends the wedding the elders..esp ladies comment "oohh!! My god she was wearing so many Gold..diamond necklaces.. did you check here bangles.. they looked soo good..some many of them".
    Damn...honestly I always missed it and I still wonder..do the ppl mean what they say when they say "congragulations - have a great life ahead" where as actually they are checking the bride`s and the mom-in-law`s jewellery. Trust me Nid`s if you are strong with your beliefs.. you can go head and wear what you like..Chunky or not chunky...Damn it, it will be your wedding.... **** the world. Cause it happens only once.. The word "Petite and pretty" does not fit the wedding dictionary... of most parents. Keep penning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so all that time gap between voice and comprehension translates in thoughts here!

    ReplyDelete